Creative Asian Americans including individuals of Filipino descent won Oscar statuettes at Sunday's televised 93rd Academy Awards ceremony, presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) which honored the best films of 2020 and early 2021.
It was the first time the 93rd Academy Awards was held virtually and in-person due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
H.E.R. won the Academy Award for Best Original Song, "Fight For You" for the motion picture, "Judas and the Black Messiah." She wrote the song with D'Mile and Tiara Thomas.
She is the first Filipina American woman to win an Academy Award. She is also the second Black woman to win this award, the first being Irene Cara for "Flashdance" in 1983.
Songwriter Robert Lopez, known for his songs on Disney’s “Frozen”, was the first Filipino man to win an Academy Award back in 2014.
Trevor Jimenez (story supervisor, and an Oscar nominated filmmaker himself for the 2019 animated short film, "Weekends") and the entire cast and crew of Pixar's "Soul" won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.
The rest of the AAPI Academy Award winners are:
"Nomadland" for Best Picture
- Directed by Chloé Zhao.
Chloé Zhao for Best Director ("Nomadland")
- She is the first Asian American woman, first Chinese woman and second woman to win an Oscar in this category
- Kathryn Bigelow was the first female director to win an Oscar in 2010 for her 2008 film “The Hurt Locker."
Youn Yuh-jung for Best Supporting Actress ("Minari")
- She is the second Asian woman to win an acting Oscar since Japanese American actress and singer Miyoshi Umeki won for "Sayonara" in 1958.
- She is the first Korean (South Korean) actress to win an Oscar.
NOTE: Steven Yeun (“Minari”) became the first Asian American actor to be nominated for Best Actor. Riz Ahmed (“Sound of Metal”) is the first Muslim to be nominated for Best Actor. It's the first time that there were two Best Actor candidates of Asian heritage.
- Anthony Hopkins took home the Oscar for Best Actor ("The Father").
Congratulations to all the winners and nominees of the 93rd Academy Awards!
Keynote Speaker Clif Smith Donates Proceeds of His Book Sold To Low-Income Youths In Confidence Building
Congratulations to Clif Smith on his book launch!
From our guest keynote speaker—
“In celebration of World Book Day - I am donating all proceeds due me for books sold through Amazon to support low-income youth participation in a confidence building program which he benefited from in similar circumstances. Please share far and wide so I have to donate more!” - Clif Smith
MINDFULNESS WITHOUT THE BELLS AND BEADS: UNLOCKING EXCEPTIONAL PERFORMANCE, LEADERSHIP, AND WELL-BEING FOR WORKING PROFESSIONALS peels back the hyperbole obscuring mindfulness and draws readers in with an inspiring poverty to prosperity story and an innovative 8-week course that has been transforming lives and helping people achieve peak performance without sacrificing personal well-being.
Order yours today at Amazon (https://amzn.to/3kHd77b)
Congratulations to editor Michelle Tesoro, ACE for her and her team receiving the Best Edited Limited Series or Motion Picture for Television Award for "The Queen's Gambit" at the 2021 American Cinema Editors (USA) Eddie Awards.
Below she walks us through her various Avid Media Composer timelines and settings to explain her editorial process for the hit Netflix series.
Join the FilAm Chambers of Commerce of Cerritos, Hollywood and Greater Pasadena Tri-Chambers for an evening with talented professionals as we educate our community while providing a space for small businesses to network and empower one another through Airmeet.
Featuring Keynote Speaker:
- Executive Coach & Public Speaker
- Ernst & Young (EY)'s Mindfulness Leader
- Author of "Mindfulness Without The Bells and Beads: Unlocking Exceptional Performance, Leadership, and Well-Being for Working Professionals"
Starts: Thu Apr 22 2021, 06:00pm PDT
Ends: Thu Apr 22 2021, 07:30pm PDT
Sponsorship Opportunities Available:
- Silver Sponsor (logo placement): $50
- Gold Sponsor (logo placement & 1 year general membership): $125
- Platinum Sponsor (logo & table and 1 year general membership): $150
- Raffle Prize Sponsor: $20
(Inquire Call/Text 213-608-5837 Jason)
Upon purchase, a representative will reach out to you for logo asset and any additional info required.
Filipino American Chambers of Commerce of Cerritos, Hollywood And Greater Pasadena presents Tri- Chamber Mash-Up - THURSDAY, APRIL 22, 2021
In line with the celebration of the 75th anniversary of PHL-U.S.A. diplomatic relations this year, the Philippine Consulate General in Los Angeles has the honor to extend the invitation of the Philippine Embassy in Washington, D.C. for the Filipino-American community in the Southwest to attend a high-level virtual economic briefing on Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 4:00p.m. - 6:00 p.m. (PDT) via Zoom.
The economic briefing will feature top Philippine and U.S. government officials, as well as private sector representatives to chart the way forward for two-way trade and investments between the two allies in the context of both countries’ pandemic response and recovery plans.
The speakers will highlight the vital importance of sustainability being at the core of the recovery agenda, the convergence of our countries’ respective priorities, and opportunities to further strengthen ties to achieve broader strategic goals, particularly in the manufacturing and construction sectors, clean energy, telecommunications, and healthcare.
To register, please click on this link:
Should you have inquiries, please direct your email to:
The Philippine Consulate General in Los Angeles is pleased to inform the Filipino-American Community of the arrival in Los Angeles of Consul General Edgar B. Badajos on Tuesday, April 6, 2021.
He is the Philippines’ 18th Consul General in Los Angeles.
We present the 8th Filipino Hollywood Actors Panel with Q&A featuring Filipino Hollywood Actors Panel's 2021 Special Guest Panelists: Deedee Magno Hall, Lou Ticzon and Earl Baylon on Saturday, June 12 from 2:00pm to 4:00pm (PDT) on Facebook LIVE and Twitch TV.
A panel discussion and networking event featuring our special guest industry panelists who represent the craft of acting across the board while shining a spotlight on Filipino talent in Hollywood today.
Hear our panelists discuss about their explorations of the process and profession of acting; their reflections on personal experiences and artistic influences that informed and shaped their careers; their discussions of past and current projects and share valuable insights into the craft and the industry.
Get a chance to ask our panelists questions, learn about open opportunities, and build your network.
2021 INDUSTRY GUEST PANELISTS:
- LOU TICZON is a Filipino-Canadian actor and writer born in Regina, Saskatchewan. His family relocated to Vancouver, BC in the early 90’s and have called it home ever since. Lou is best known for playing David Chin on CW’s "Arrow" and Charles Dimakulangan on CW’s "Two Sentence Horror Stories."
- EARL BAYLON is currently the Artistic Director of Room To Improv, an Asian American improv troupe serving the Los Angeles community... and beyond! Credits include the recent "Tomb Raider" video game trilogy, "Supportive White Parents, a one-hour comedic musical at the Second City Hollywood, and the feature film, "Lumpia With A Vengeance," Winner of the audience award at the Hawaii International Film Festival. You can find him co-hosting and talking nerdy on Pangeekery, a weekly live video podcast on the GeekishNetwork Twitch channel.
- DEEDEE MAGNO HALL is best known as the voice of “Pearl” on Cartoon Network’s award winning animated series, "Steven Universe." Her theater credits include being “Kim” on Miss Saigon (Broadway, 2nd US National & Asian Tours), “Nessarose” Wicked (1st US National Tour), "Diana" Next To Normal (East West Players), If/Then (Broadway & US National Tour). Her television and film credits include being part of the original cast of Disney Channel’s “All New Mickey Mouse Club." Also, "Goliath," "Grey's Anatomy," "Third Watch," "Dellaventura," "Rear Window," "Face," "Sister Act 2." And, her recordings include four albums with Hollywood Record’s pop group, “The Party." And, she is a co-founder of mommy singing group, “Mama Bares."
- EDWIN A. SANTOS (Moderator) is an actor and a film producer. With 20+ years of professional experience in the entertainment industry, as an actor, his work can be seen in the feature films, "The Last Exorcist," "Blue Dream" and "Girl Lost: A Hollywood Story," and as a producer, his work includes the award-winning "Mad Cowgirl" with Sarah Lassez, James Duval and Devon Odessa, and "Samurai Cop 2: Deadly Vengeance" with Bai Ling and Tommy Wiseau. He is the Founder of the Filipino Hollywood Actors Panel, host/producer of the Artists, Creatives & Business Podcast, and Vice President Board Member of the Filipino American Chamber of Commerce of Hollywood.
DATE / TIME / LOCATION:
Saturday, June 12, 2021
From 2:00pm to 4:00pm (PDT)
From 5:00pm to 7:00pm (Canada)
- Filipino Hollywood Actors Panel
- Filipino American Chamber of Commerce of Hollywood
FOLLOW FILIPINO HOLLYWOOD ACTORS PANEL:
Use the hashtag: #FilipinoHollywoodActorsPanel
Edwin Santos began blogging in 1995 when he was hired as Editor for the award-winning fansite, The Towne Cryer News on Renée Zellweger. He wrote about the entertainment business and film reviews of Zellweger's films until 2000.